Sunday, February 13, 2011

Poetry of Witness


The poem Letter Composed During a Lull in the Fighting by Kevin Powers was a very deep poem. The poem shows the intensity of war and how hard it is to be in that situation. The author is obviously exhausted from war and needs sleep so bad that he compares just ten minutes of needed rest to how much he loves someone. I can’t imagine killing numerous people and the emotional Impact that it would it would have on me. I can’t imagine being so exhausted but not being able to let my guard down, always being worried about what or who is going to attack next. My best friends’ husband is in the Mid–East right now, and even though he is not my husband when I hear his stories and see them talk to each other I can feel the sadness in his voice and I can tell that he has changed. It is heart breaking to me to think about what he has to go through every day. Even though they make their own decisions to be in the military and serve our country it is still a terrible thing that anyone has to face.

http://deepconfusion.blogspot.com/2006_12_01_archive.html




http://alanpetersnewsbriefs.blogspot.com/2010_09_01_archive.html

The second poem that impacted me was  Wislawa Szymborskas’ Photograph from September. This poem was impacting to me because I was alive to see it happen. That morning I remember it all over the TV and that is all everyone was talking about, parents, teachers and classmates. It was like everyone around had paused for that moment, it was a silence of sorrow and fear for everyone. To make that decision to either jump or burn alive would be terrifying because either way they knew they were going to die. It was the choice of which death would be less painful. The impact of this event was worldwide and will never be forgotten.
Link for video of September 11  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcC6bTHosx0

No comments:

Post a Comment